Rob is a litigator with over twenty years’ experience in trials, appeals, and arbitrations in state and federal courts. He handles the full range of disputes and litigation for companies of all sizes, including “bet the business” litigation where the entrepreneur’s fortunes rest in the hands of his litigation team.
His core practice is civil and commercial litigation, including real estate disputes, insurance coverage and bad faith claims, shareholder disputes, large probate claims, financial fraud claims, legal malpractice cases, appeals, and consumer class action cases, including actions brought under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.
After graduating from law school, he obtained a two-year judicial clerkship in the Appellate Court of Illinois for the late Justice Allen Hartman and worked about eight years at the large Chicago firms Hinshaw & Culbertson and Ungaretti & Harris (now Nixon Peabody).
Rob is active within the Chicago Hispanic legal community. He has represented a variety of small businesses and professionals, including banks, a number of Chicago area minority physicians and he is well-regarded within the Chicago Hispanic medical community. Rob was formerly President of the Hispanic Lawyers Association of Illinois and President of the Alumni Board of Governors for Loyola University Chicago School of Law. He also has served on numerous civic boards, including serving on the Board of Directors for the AIDS Legal Council of Chicago, Almost Home Kids, and the Executive Committee for the Alliance of Bar Associations for Judicial Screening. In early 2015, Illinois Governor Bruce Rauner selected Rob to serve a five-year term as a commissioner on the Illinois Racing Board. His selection was approved by the Illinois Senate.
Prior to law school, Rob practiced as a Certified Public Accountant in the tax division of Arthur Andersen & Co., where he counseled high net worth individuals and owner-operated businesses.
Some examples of Rob’s work are:
- Led a litigation team in the successful prosecution of a trademark infringement trial in the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois;
- Served as lead trial counsel in a multiple week trial representing a start-up, publicly traded biotechnology company against the company’s founder and former CEO for breach of fiduciary duty and theft of business opportunities;
- Served as lead trial counsel in the successful defense a landowner accused of fraud in connection with the sale of real estate;
- Successfully represented an East Coast recording label in a trademark infringement suit in a dispute between conflicting trademarks of two recording artists;
- Successfully represented investors in a fraud claim under Section 10(b) of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934;
- Represented a minority automobile owner/dealer in a suit against a Fortune 500 company challenging the corporation’s business practices against minority dealers;.
- Successfully defending home rescue companies accused of fraud in suits prosecuted in the Circuit Court of Cook County and in the United States District Court; and
- Successfully representing numerous corporations in class action suits brought under various federal consumer protection statutes in the United States District Court.
Loyola University Chicago School of Law, J.D., 1993
Editor, Loyola University Chicago Law Journal
University of Illinois (Champaign-Urbana) B.S. degrees in accounting and finance, 1987
Certified Public Accountant, Licensed 1990 (currently inactive status)
Bar and Court Admissions
Rob is admitted to practice in Illinois.
Rob is fluent in Spanish.