Alexis is a cum laude graduate of the University of Michigan Law School and has represented business clients and individuals in a variety of disputes before state and federal courts and in arbitration. She is a litigator and business lawyer, representing her clients in court as well as counseling them on contract, regulatory and trade secret matters to help them avoid lawsuits or simply to advance their business interests.
Alexis has successfully represented clients in litigated cases that have included issues of breach of contract, fraud, breach of fiduciary duties and trade secrets. She has likewise represented clients in insurance and reinsurance coverage and defense matters.
Alexis’s counseling practice includes business formation for small business, as well as contract negotiation and interpretation. She has advised corporate and non-profit clients on compliance with U.S. anti-money laundering and anti-terrorism laws. Alexis also represents individuals in trust and estate matters.
Before joining A&G, Alexis was an associate at Lovells LLP (now known as Hogan Lovells) and at the firm of Litchfield Cavo LLP. She previously served as Law Clerk to the Honorable Robert J. Quinn in the Chancery Division of the Circuit Court of Cook County.
Alexis is an attorney volunteer for the Cook County Second Chance Expungement Summit, assisting qualified individuals to expunge or seal criminal records in order to expand their educational and employment opportunities. She is also on the Board of the Nettelhorst Parent Teacher Organization, a nonprofit that raises funds and builds community to support the The Nettelhorst School, a Chicago Public School.
Some examples of Alexis’s work are:
- Represented cedents and reinsurers in arbitration and litigation regarding a wide array of reinsurance disputes, including issues of breach of reinsurance agreement, breach of fiduciary duty, broker duties, fraud, misrepresentation and good faith. Favorably settled numerous disputes before hearing or trial.
- Represented corporate clients in litigation against competitors and former employees regarding proprietary technology and processes, including claims for misappropriation of trade secrets, breach of employment agreements and under the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act.
- Advised businesses on identification of trade secrets and on the implementation of processes and policies to protect them.
- Represented a foreign energy company in litigation raising issues of international law and the scope of the Alien Tort Claims Act.
- Counseled non-profit client on impact of U.S. anti-terrorism legislation on its provision of charitable humanitarian aid in targeted regions.
- Assisted small businesses in the negotiation and formation of contracts, such as operating agreements, consulting agreements and leases.
University of Michigan Law School, J.D., 2000, cum laude
DePauw University, B.A., 1997, cum laude
Bar and Court Admissions
Illinois Supreme Court
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
State of Washington
Alexis Hawker is not admitted into any bar of any court not listed above.