Rob is a founding member of A&G Law LLC. Over the past more than twenty years, his practice has included civil litigation, regulatory defense and white-collar criminal defense, including appellate work in state and federal courts of appeal.
In civil practice, Rob has represented Fortune 50 companies in significant class action, RICO, consumer law and commercial cases, often with tens or even hundreds of millions of dollars at stake. He has also represented small and mid-size companies in business disputes with fewer dollars at stake, but where the results are just as important to the clients. Rob’s civil practice has included counseling clients on consumer and unclaimed property law compliance and assisting those clients in dealing with regulators and auditors.
In criminal practice, Rob has represented individuals and companies, including political leaders, senior executives and others, in grand jury investigations and indicted cases. Rob has conducted and overseen internal investigations and developed and implemented compliance programs, including providing training on anti-corruption laws. With the assistance of local counsel, he has also assisted international clients defend against Mutual Legal Assistance Treaty and extradition requests in countries from Cyprus to Spain to the United States.
In both criminal and civil cases, Rob has argued appeals before multiple panels of the Seventh Circuit, including en banc, the First, Third and Ninth Circuits, and multiple panels of the Illinois Appellate Court. Rob’s appellate work has resulted in a dozen published decisions. He has also filed briefs and/or cert petitions to the Illinois and U.S. Supreme Court.
Before co-founding A&G, Rob was a partner at the international law firms Loeb & Loeb LLP, Sonnenschein Nath & Rosenthal LLP (now Dentons) and Altheimer & Gray.
Some examples of Rob’s work are:
- Defending a Fortune 50 retailer in multiple national class action lawsuits, including two cases seeking in excess of $100 million under RICO or consumer fraud theories, one case alleging fraudulent promotional programs, and one case challenging vitamin label claims. Rob won dismissal on the pleadings and/or developed a strategy to avoid months of expensive discovery in every one of these cases.
- Representing the four largest Illinois casinos as plaintiffs against Illinois race tracks in a civil RICO case alleging defendants’ participation in a criminal enterprise with former Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich. Obtained a jury verdict and judgment in favor of plaintiffs for a total of $81.8 million, including trebled and punitive damages.
- Defending a major wireless carrier in multiple national consumer class actions filed in Illinois and California, again winning dismissal on the pleadings and/or avoiding expensive discovery in each case.
- Defending a major credit card company in six class action lawsuits filed in New Jersey, Illinois and California relating to fees imposed and terms for prepaid gift cards. All of these cases were dismissed on the pleadings.
- Representing Fortune 50 retailer in an FTC investigation that resulted in negotiated settlement of Section 5 lawsuit involving textile labeling.
- Representing national produce management company in multiple actions filed in both Illinois and Tennessee to enforce non-competition and non-solicitation covenants, in each case winning injunctive relief.
- Representing the Illinois State Police in a racial profiling class action, obtaining summary judgment that was affirmed by the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Providing unclaimed property counseling and defending state unclaimed property audits for mutliple companies, including a Fortune 50 pharmaceutical company, a Fortune 50 retailer, a publicly listed restaurant chain and a national wireless carrier.
White Collar Defense:
- Representing the lead defendant in a 19-defendant Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) sting case in federal court in Washington, D.C. All defendants were either acquitted or had the cases against them dismissed.
- Defending a pharmaceutical sales executive in federal court in Boston, through trial and appeal to the First Circuit, part of largest-ever health care fraud case.
- Defending a former Illinois Governor, his campaign fund and dozens of witnesses during the grand jury investigation of the Governor.
- Conducting an internal investigation of stock option misdating for a Special Committee of the Board of Directors of a public medical products company in the midst of negotiations that led to a 9-figure privatization deal.
- Conducting an internal investigation of FCPA issues raised by third-party agent relationship related to $2 billion transaction in Mexico.
- Developing an FCPA compliance program for an international minerals trading company and conducting preliminary training, counseling and implementation for program.
Law Clerk to Hon. James T. Moody (USDC ND Indiana), 1993-95
Law Clerk to Hon. Ralph Adam Fine (Wisconsin Court of Appeals), 1992-93
Boston University School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 1992
University of Michigan, BA, with honors, 1988
Pembroke College, Cambridge University (1986-87)
Bar and Court Admissions
U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
Illinois Supreme Court
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (trial bar)
U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois
Wisconsin Supreme Court (Inactive)
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
Robert Andalman is not admitted into any bar of any court not listed above.
Named in “Illinois Super Lawyers“ in Business Litigation, Consumer Law and Criminal Defense: White Collar, a Thomson Reuters business (2010-2017)
Recommended “Top Lawyers in Illinois” in Commercial Litigation and Criminal Defense Law: White Collar, Leading Lawyers Network, a division of Law Bulletin Publishing Company (2008-2012)
Named in The Legal 500 US in Marketing and Advertising, published by Legalease Limited and John Pritchard (2012 edition)
Highest “AV Preeminent (5 out of 5)” Professional Rating, Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory